Meeting Two: A Value-Driven Approach to Online Course Development (Part 1)
When: June 14, 2013, 9:00am-12:00pm
Where: ThinkLab (Simpson 225A)
NOTE: This meeting will be video recorded for an absent cohort member.
Janine Davis, Chad Murphy, Joe Dreiss, Steve Gallik, Abbie Basile
Tim Owens, Steve Greenlaw, Andy Rush, Mary Kayler, Martha Burtis
Reviewing the Value List (9:00-9:15)
Review of the Google Doc with the list of values that everyone came up with last week.
Short (15-20 min) demonstrations of technologies that can be used to complete a V-T-A exercise started last week. (by DTLT)
Creating a V-T-A Online Tool (10:15-10:30)
During this introduction to some premium WordPress plugins, we will build an online tool for gathering and storing V-T-A exercises.
Value-Tech-Activity Individual Groupwork(10:30-11:30)
- Working in groups of two, build an activity idea based on a chosen value and a technology component. Develop at least two ideas, and submit them in the new online tool. Prepare a brief presentation (no more than 5 minutes) of your idea. (45 min)
- Share one of your v-t-a ideas (15 min)
Lunch Arrives (11:30)
Brainstorming about Meeting Three: (11:30-11:50)
- Introduction to Padlet (brainstorming tool)
- Begin to form ideas about questions for third meeting
- Discuss work to be completed for next meeting
Preparation for Third Meeting
- Continue to add ideas to the Padlet document (url will be emailed after the workshop) we created during the workshop today. Use this as an opportunity to brainstorm all the areas in which you would like to get more information/assistance with developing your understanding of online teaching.
- Use the v-t-a approach to develop 2-4 new activity ideas for your course. Push yourself to think about how your ideas are linked to your core teaching values, and use this as an opportunity to familiarize yourself with 1 or 2 NEW technologies. Make sure you input your ideas in the new V-T-A tool we developed today (url will be emailed after the workshop).