Teaching perspectives

I believe that the survey results are for the most part, accurate. However, I also think that my answers to the questions and, therefore, the results depend very much on the context. My dominant perspective of Apprenticeship with a back-up in transmission roots in the fact that I am teaching a foreign language and its culture in a small university program in a country where this language is not widely spoken on a daily basis. If I taught Spanish, my approach would be completely would look completely different. For my students, my two part-time colleagues and I are the only fluent German-speakers they have access to on a daily basis.

Would I teach German literature at a German university, this perspective would be completely different. I could rely on previous knowledge of students of  classic as well as contemporary writers. There would be no language barrier (i.e. no need to provide glossas of difficult vocabulary, …) to understand the German text.

I a a bit surprised by the relative low score of Nurturing as I consider myself a teachers who works with struggling students, try to establish a community of German learners (Immersion Days – day-long retreats outside of Fredericksburg where only German is spoken), and challenge talented students (7 this semester) to do undergraduate research that results in honors theses.

As was pointed out earlier, I don’t really see the need for social reform in my teaching German language and culture. Again, this is context-driven. Teaching a FSEM on German and U.S. representations of the Holocaust might have much more of a social impact than instructing students on the particulars of German irregular verbs or the influence of Goethe on German romanticism.

Speak Your Mind

*