Adolek Kohn “I will survive”
Introduction – Who is Adolek Kohn
- Watch the documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esDxLw6ARyY
- Summarize who Adolek Kohn is! (age job, place of living)
- What were his and his wife’s experiences during the Holocaust?
The original has been deleted due to copyright claims by Universal Music
Use this video, skip to 1:18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf3T4q9PVPU&NR=1&feature=endscreen
- Where does Adolek Kohn and his grandchildren dance besides Auschwitz?
- How does it make you feel?
- Besides the title of the song, can you see connections between the lyrics and the film scenes?
- What role does dancing play for the Kohn family and their friends?
- Look for the lyrics of ‘Dance Me to the End of Love’ by Leonard Cohen. What connections do you see to the movie?
Part III – The Kohn’s visit Auschwitz and Lodz
- What’s the meaning of the Polish questions Adolek poses from the train car?
- What is so amazing for Adolek being back in Poland?
Part IV – Interviews with Adolek Kohn
- Why did Adolek Kohn return to Auschwitz to dance?
Part V – Media responses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf3T4q9PVPU&NR=1&feature=endscreen (from beginning to 1:17)
- What are arguments for and against the dance?
- Why do you think Universal Music had the original film deleted? Only for copyright reasons?
Part VI – Your Opinion
- What do you think about Adolek Kohn’s dance in Auschwitz?
- Is it appropriate?
- Was the posting of the video on the Internet appropriate?